Many people who are having problems with gambling also have financial troubles. People affected by someone else's gambling may also find themselves under considerable financial pressure.
Gambler’s Help financial counsellors are fully qualified and experienced in understanding the financial issues you and your family are facing.
When you meet with a Gambler's Help financial counsellor, they will work with you to:
- help you to understand your current financial position
- help you set sustainable goals to improve your finances
- negotiate payment arrangements by talking to creditors on your behalf.
Gambler’s Help financial counsellors can:
- negotiate hardship agreements on your behalf (with creditors, energy companies, schools etc.) based on your income and financial capacity
- help you manage any debts in your name and establish regular repayments on your bills such as utilities
- help you understand your credit file and the implications of any defaults or other listings
- help you understand your liability for any debts that are in your name and/or someone else’s name
- suggest avenues to seek legal advice should this be necessary
- help you understand ways in which you can reduce your risk. These may include supporting you to arrange separate bank accounts and reducing exposure to further debt
- assist you to access other specialist Gambler's Help counselling if and when you feel ready
- help you make better financial choices for you and your family
- assist you to establish a budget and financial goals if you feel these may help
- provide information on community agencies that may be able to offer you and your family emergency relief.
Financial counsellors are not able to:
- make any decisions for you or tell you what to do
- organise a loan or refer you to any credit provider
- provide investment advice or therapeutic counselling.
Gambler’s Help services have limited financial assistance available to assist gamblers and those affected by another person’s gambling. Our financial counsellors may be able to help you with an application to access these resources.
This financial assistance is only available to registered Gambler's Help clients, who following an assessment, may be provided assistance to support recovery from the impact of gambling harm.
To make an appointment to see a financial counsellor call Gambler's Help on 1800 858 858 or find your local Gambler's Help service.
Other useful information: