Problem gambling can lead to a range of psychosocial issues. The Foundation provides funding to a network of counsellors throughout Victoria, who work to reduce and minimise the harm caused by problem gambling on gamblers and their families.
Agencies delivering the Gambler’s Help program include community health services, and child and family welfare agencies. These organisations employ around 95 counsellors who provide face-to-face counselling (individual, couples and family counselling), group support, telephone counselling, email support and financial advice.
Program highlights in 2010-11:
- Problem gambling counselling services were delivered to over 4,500 clients
- More than 53,000 hours of service were delivered - an average of 11.6 hours of counselling per client.
- More than 16,000 hours of financial counselling services were delivered to more than 2,000 clients, an average of 7.9 hours of counselling per client.
Around 81 per cent of the clients who attended counselling in 2010–11 were experiencing problem gambling, the remaining 19 per cent were family members or friends of gamblers.