Pokies planning permits and license applications

Venue license applications

Venues must apply to the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) to obtain a license to install electronic gaming machines (EGMs) in their venue or to increase the number of existing EGMs.  

Council response

Councils are responsible for considering the social and economic impacts around any application for a premise with a gambling license. This may be in the form of a written submission to the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) when it is hearing an application from a venue or appearing as the representative of the community at the hearing.

If no submission is made, the regulator will still act to ascertain the Council's views (if any). This is required under law through the Gambling Regulation Act 2003 and is part of what is considered by the VCGLR in their decisions around gambling licences.

Learn more:

VCGLR decisions on gambling matters 

Upcoming VCGLR gambling inquiries and hearings

Venue planning permit applications 

As well as venues needing a license from the VCGLR to run EGMs, they must also apply to their local council for a planning permit when installing new or additional EGMs in their venue.

Council response

If the council or applicant objects to a decision made by the regulator, or the applicant or a member of the public objects to the council's planning decision, the decision can be reviewed in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). In its review the Tribunal must also consider social and economic impacts when reviewing gambling licenses or planning applications for venues with gambling licenses.

Learn more:

Local government policies on gambling

Local government gambling planning amendments

Subscribe to the Gambling Information Resource Office's mail list to receive updates on gambling information and news.

See past alerts

Sign up

Short and sharp overviews and explanations of gambling regulation, data, and activities.

Read more