The Responsible Gambling Advocacy Centre (RGAC) research updates were designed to inform people with an interest in responsible and problem gambling about the latest research in Australia and overseas.
The updates provided an overview of new research publications that emphasised their findings, conclusions and recommendations.
April - May 2012 (PDF - 223.5 KB)
- S. Thomas, S. Lewis, J. Duong & C. McLeod, Sports betting marketing during sporting events: a stadium and broadcast census of Australian Football League matches, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, Vol.36, no.2, 2012
- C. Livingstone, C. Kipsaina & A. Rintoul, Assessment of poker machine expenditure and community benefit claims in selected Commonwealth Electoral Divisions, Uniting Care Australia, April 2012
- H. Wardle, A. Moody, M. Griffiths, J. Orford & R. Volberg, Defining the online gambler and patterns of behaviour integration: evidence from the British Gambling Prevalence Survey 2010, International Gambling Studies Vol. 11, No. 3, December 2011
February - March 2012 (PDF - 182.4 KB)
- N. Hing, E. Nuske, S. Gainsbury, Gamblers at-risk and their help-seeking behaviour, Gambling Research Australia September 2011 (released January 2012)
- M. Young, F. Markham and B. Doran, Too close to home? The relationships between residential distance to venue and gambling outcomes, International Gambling Studies 2012, IGS First article website pp1-17
- Allen Consulting, Problem Gambling Treatment and Research Centre and the Social Research Centre, Social and Economic Impact Study of Gambling in Tasmania, Tasmanian Department of Treasury and Finance December 2011 (released March 2012)
December 2011 - January 2012 (PDF - 661.6 KB)
- S. Thomas, S. Lewis, C. McLeod, J. Haycock, 'They are working every angle. A qualitative study of Australian adults' attitudes towards, and interactions with, gambling industry marketing strategies' in International Gambling Studies, 29 November 2011.
- R. Bell and J. Boldero, Factors affecting youth gambling: A comprehensive model of the antecedents and consequences of gambling in younger people, Department of Justice Victoria, December 2011.
- A. de Castella, P. Bolding, A. Lee, S. Cosic, J. Kulkarni, Problem gambling in people presenting to a public mental health service, Department of Justice Victoria, October 2011.
- D. Pickernell, R. Keast, M. McGovern, Socio-economic impacts of access to EGMs in Victoria: Effects on demand and communities, Final Report, Department of Justice Victoria, December 2011.
October - November 2011 (PDF - 208.7 KB)
- S. Kale, Australian teens and poker: Gambling prevalence, influences and implications, Department of Justice, Victoria , October 2011.
- A. Thomas, S. Moore, S. Kale, N. Zlatevska, M. Spence, P. Staiger, J. Graffam, M. Kyrios, International student gambling: The role of acculturation, gambling cognitions and social circumstances, Full Technical Report, Gambling Research Australia, August 2011.
- T. Davidson, B. Rodgers, Profiling Problem Gambling Symptoms in the Australian Capital Territory: Socioeconomic and Demographic Characteristics and Gambling Participation and Gambling Participation, Final Report, ACT Gambling and Racing Commission, 31 October 2011.
- P. Delfabbro, M. Borgas and D. King, 'Venue Staff Knowledge of Their Patrons' Gambling and Problem Gambling,' Journal of Gambling Studies, 1 June 2011.
September 2011 (PDF - 257.1 KB)
- Australian National University, ANU Poll: Public Opinion on Gambling, July 2011.
- European Commission, GREEN PAPER On on-line gambling in the Internal Market, March 2011.
- The South Australian Centre for Economic Studies, Occasional Paper #33: Problem gamblers and the role of the financial sector, Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs, 2010 (released June 2011).
August 2011 (PDF - 360.3 KB)
- R. Michalczuk, H. Bowden-Jones, A. Verdejo-Garcia and L. Clark, Impulsivity and cognitive distortions in pathological gamblers attending the UK National Problem Gambling Clinic: a preliminary report, Psychol Med. 29 June 2011 December; 41(12).
- R. Billi, P. Marden, C. Stone, Victorian Gambling Study - A Longitudinal Study of Gambling and Public Health - Wave Two Findings, Department of Justice Victoria, Melbourne, 22 June 2011.
March – April 2011 (PDF - 485.8 KB)
- J.G. Phillips & Alex Blaszczynski, Gambling and the impact of new and emerging technologies and associated products, Final Report - August 2010. Victorian Department of Justice and Gambling Research Australia, 309pp.
- Focal Research Consultants, Phase 1 Evaluation of The "My-Play" System: 2010 Regular VL Players Benchmark Survey,Prepared for Nova Scotia Gaming Foundation, 2010 128pp.
- John W. Welte, Grace M. Barnes, Marie-Cecile O. Tidwell, Joseph H. Hoffman. "Gambling and Problem Gambling Across the Lifespan,"Journal of Gambling Studies (2011) 27: pp. 49–61.
- Felicity K. Lorains, Sean Cowlishaw & Shane A. Thomas. "Prevalence of comorbid disorders in problem and pathological gambling: systematic review and meta-analysis of population surveys," Addiction, 106 2011 pp.490-498.
- Warfield. Gambling Motivated Fraud in Australia 2008 – 2010, Warfield & Associates 2011, 20pp.
- Matthew Stevens, Kate Golebiowska, Perry Morrison, Correlates of reported gambling problems in the CALD population of Australia,Gambling Research Australia 2010, 70pp.
December 2010 – February 2011 (PDF - 441.8 KB)
Rickwood, Alex Blaszczynski, Paul Delfabbro, Nicki Dowling, Katharine Heading, The Psychology of Gambling APS Review Paper
FINAL, November 2010 54pp, prepared by the Australian
Psychological Society Gambling Working Group.
- Dr Danielle Every, Representations of Gambling in English and non-English speaking
Australian media, Gambling Research Australia, August, 2010 13pp.
Consulting, Factors that influence
gambler adherence to pre-commitment decisions, Gambling Research
Australia, August 2010 (released Dec 2010) 187pp.