The Safer Gambling app uses geo-fencing
that establishes a virtual perimeter
around a target location.
The app combines location data from your
phone provider with its GPS position to identify your location. An alert is
triggered after you cross a geo-fence perimeter.
When you have been in this location for
more than 20 minutes, an alarm will sound and a photograph of your choosing
will show on your screen to remind you where you are.
The alarm is designed to interrupt you,
reminding you of your commitment to limit your gambling and also connect you
with your personal and professional support network in case you need a little
encouragement to walk away.
- When the alert sounds, you'll be prompted to phone a friend or call the Gambler's Help phone line (1800 858 858).
- The app also has links to helpful online resources to support your commitment to change.
The Responsible Gambling Foundation does not collect data or any personal information from the Safer Gambling app.
- Any information, including information that can identify a person, entered into the Safer Gambling app remains on your phone and is not transmitted to us or anyone else. This includes phone numbers, names and photos
- With iPhones – your location data is kept on a secure remote server and your device position is reported against that data. Your device is only known by an anonymous ID number which cannot be accessed by others ensuring a secure user identity and location
- With Android phones - data is kept on the phone and only you will know your location or where you have been
For full details, view the Safer Gambling App Terms and conditions of use.
There may be times when the Safer
Gambling app doesn't alert you when you are in a danger zone or it might set
off a false alarm.
This could be because the data we rely on
to identify where the venues are is not up to date or your phone is not
connecting quickly enough to enable your position to be accurately
There may be times when you get a false
alarm for the same reasons.
Please let us know if you think the alarm should have gone off and didn't or if you get repeated false alarms and we will investigate.
Data usage and battery life
The Safer Gambling app has been designed to use minimal battery life and a very small amount of data. Please report any issues if they arise.
Why are only pokies venues in the Safer Gambling app?
This first version of the Safer Gambling app has been developed with every pokie venue in Victoria preloaded. Other locations where people can gamble have not been included because, at this time, we only have reliable, verified data about pokies venues.
- You can add your own 'danger zones' whether that's the race track or local footy field where you find yourself gambling excessively
- Updates to the app, including adding other gambling locations, will depend on feedback from users
- Make sure you tell us what you want from future versions of the Safer Gambling app