We aim to encourage a balanced approach to gambling by providing practical tips on how to gamble responsibly.
'Well played' is about bringing responsible gambling to life with messages about how to avoid harm from gambling.
How do you keep it well played?
Set money and time limits and stick to them
- Setting limits is a great way to keep track of the time and money you spend gambling.
- Sticking to limits means you'll have more time and money to do other things you enjoy, like going on a holiday with your family, or buying something you really want.
- One way you can set limits if you are playing a gaming machine is to use the YourPlay system.
- Other forms of gambling including sports betting and TAB wagering also have programs to assist you in setting and sticking to limits. Speak to your betting provider about this if you're interested.
Keep track of the money you spend betting
- Using cash and leaving cards at home is a good way to manage the amount you spend and help you keep track of how much you are spending.
- When betting online, think about betting with the money you have, rather than using credit.
- One way you can track your spending on gaming machines is to use the YourPlay system.
Take regular breaks
- Keep your gambling an enjoyable activity by taking regular breaks.
- Taking breaks is a fantastic way to allow you some extra reflection time on whether you should keep gambling.
- When you take a break, try to leave the gambling area rather than just the table, pokie machine or screen.
When catching up with friends, make sure it's not always about gambling
- Gambling is often seen as a social activity but it's important to make sure you maintain balance with other leisure activities, hobbies or interests in your life.
- Having the time and the money to do other things you enjoy is an important way to keep that balance.
- Only gamble for entertainment.
- The way you behave can influence your friends. By not putting off your friends for a flutter, you can help them do the same.